Thursday, December 20, 2012

Digital Citizenship Technologies 2



             This week I will be sharing two websites related to the same topic, Digital citizenship,from  the blog posts of my colleagues.

             The first one is http://mediasmarts.ca/ and it is presented by Seher Balkaya whose blog can be reached at http://seherb.wordpress.com/2012/12/digital-citizenship-technologies/.  The site has various lesson plans, ideas, tutorials, tips and information on the themes of digital citizenship. Though they are for K12 education, many of the lesson plans for Grade 12 can be used with some adaptation with my young adult learners. The reason why I have particularly chosen this site is that the site offers numerous lesson plans on digital and media literacy. One example of what and how I would use from this website is the e-parenting guide: Keeping up with your kids' online activities. First, I would briefly talk about the excessive use of internet. Then, tell them that they are going to be parents and ask them to choose one of the five subtopics given in the e-tutorial that they are interested in presenting. There are five sub topics for this tutorial and they are online research and homework, online relationships, inappropriate content, too much time online and online marketing. Students who choose the same topic can watch the tutorial together to help each other with the content and the language. The good thing is that the tutorial has subtitles, which is a great opportunity for language learners. Then they choose visuals, videos and prepare a power point presentation where the tips are also given.

                 The second one is http://www.digitalcitizenship.net/Resources.html from Yvonne Duncan's blog which can be reached at http://azureskyca.blogspot.com/2012/12/week-7.html  The site gives brief information on the nine themes of digital citizenship, publications on it and offers resources and gives useful links to many resources. I think activities for technology users and the ones for the trainers of adults would be beneficial for adult educators. I would adapt the lesson plan given for digital literacy in training language teachers to use digital communication models like blogging, podcasting and RSS in their classes. After a brief discussion on what blogging and podcasting is, I would give the websites suggested on this site for them to explore what each technology is and how language teachers use them in classes. You may reach the suggested sites for podcasting and blogging at http://www.digitalcitizenship.net/uploads/ProfDevAct2.pdf. Another task I would adapt is the one for the digital issues.  I would ask the teachers and administrators in my institution to rank the digital issues given at http://www.digitalcitizenship.net/uploads/ProfDevAct2.pdf and give their opinions on a blog I have created. Then I would have them discuss and give solutions to the significant issues. Finally, suggestions can be collected and turn into lesson plans for educators to raise awareness and establish class rules.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the first link you remarked on. Having a site that has such great information and tools in one place can be so helpful in planning and helping you to take projects and ideas further as an educator. It can create resources that can help you in teaching adults and children. Very good pick and I plan on using it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the first link you remarked on. Having a site that has such great information and tools in one place can be so helpful in planning and helping you to take projects and ideas further as an educator. It can create resources that can help you in teaching adults and children. Very good pick and I plan on using it in the future. - Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Su,
    Thank you for picking one of my suggestions. I think it is a great site that can be adapted to the needs of our learners. The second site that you have recommended can also be a great resource on digital citizenship both for adult learners and educators. Your suggestions on how to use this site are really great, and I think that they would really help your learners. I can also use these topics in my classes for discussion. I can assign my learners to do research and have a class discussion. This can help them raise awareness on digital citizenship while helping them with their reading and speaking skills.
    Thank you for your suggestions,
    Seher

    ReplyDelete